Saturday, June 9, 2018

Dog Trailer - a New Experience

Laika happy to be out of the trailer
Laika (the dog) outside of the trailer

I purchased a Schwinn "Rascal" dog trailer to haul around our Springer Spaniel. She weights around 39 pounds. This trailer is supposed to be OK for dogs up to 50 pounds.

The trailer by itself weights 24 pounds. It is a little on the heavy side, I suppose - which isn't surprising, this trailer costs less than $100 (online). After all, this bicycle by itself only weighs 27 pounds! It has 16 inch wheels, which seems reasonable - that is, bigger isn't necessary in order to have a reasonably smooth ride. It takes a little extra care to make sure that the trailer wheels don't encounter something that they shouldn't, to give the dog a pleasant enough ride. One change I will probably make is to lower the air pressure in the tires; I think the tires could be doing more shock absorbing if they were softer.

Once I discovered that there are trailers intended for dogs, I stopped looking at ones intended for hauling small children. A trailer for one child seemed too small while the ones for two children were larger than this one.

Laika in the dog trailer
Laika in the trailer

I don't think of this as being a high speed experience. I don't think Laika would care for it, for one thing. This bike is good for that since it has lots of low gearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment